Evaluating your Test Scores
All freshman applicants must take the SAT and/or the ACT, and we have no preference between the two. We super score within the same test, using your highest section scores from any test date. We evaluate all your sub-section scores, not just the sum or composite. Each time you submit new scores to us, we will update your record with your highest scores. Our bottom line is that testing is only one part of our holistic review, and we want students to be able to put their best foot forward.
Beginning with 2017 freshman applicants, the essay portion of both exams is optional but recommended.
When You Should Test
You are strongly encouraged to complete your file as quickly as possible. To receive a decision in the round to which you have applied, your test scores must received in our office by:
- Early Action - December 1
- Regular Decision - February 1
Other important information
- SAT Redesign Update:
- SAT scores from tests taken before and after March 2016 will be considered.
- SAT scores taken March 2016 and after will not be concorded to match scores from tests taken prior to March 2016.
- During application review, the test date will be noted, along with the score, to account for differences between the old and redesigned SAT scores.
- We recommend students take both tests at least one time to determine which test they prefer.
- Send us your scores when you take the test – don’t wait! Your scores may fluctuate with each test instance, but we will only use the highest section in our review of your application. Delaying sending us your scores could put you at risk of missing our test score deadline.
- Keep us informed. If you plan to retake a test after your submission date, tell us on your application.
Sending Your Test Scores
Official test scores must be sent directly to Georgia Tech from the testing agency. Use the following codes to request that your scores be sent to us:
- SAT school code: 5248
- ACT school code: 0818
Other Standardized Tests
SAT Subject Tests, AP, IB and AS & A Level exams are optional. If you have taken any of these tests before you apply, you are welcome to submit them if you think they support your application.
TOEFL & IELTS Exams
The TOEFL and IELTS are not required but recommended for students for whom English is not their first language. Both tests are accepted with no preference between the two.