The APS Pathway program is designed to provide academically talented students within APS a transfer path to Georgia Tech. First-year applicants from Atlanta Public Schools (APS) not offered first-year admission have the opportunity to apply as a transfer student within two years after their high school graduation date as part of the APS pathway program.
The Atlanta Public Schools (APS) Pathway Program is an optional transfer path and valid up to two years after high school graduation and full-time college studies. Students who meet all APS Pathway program requirements below will receive an offer of transfer admission to Georgia Tech.
Students choosing to stay at another institution beyond the two-year period or unable to complete the requirements below will need to apply as part of our regular, competitive transfer application process.
For example, first-year fall 2021 applicants from Atlanta Public Schools (APS) who receive the APS Pathway offer have until the fall 2023 term to apply as part of the APS Transfer Pathway Program.
Atlanta Public Schools Pathway Requirements:
- Submit a transfer application by the deadline of the application term. APS pathway students can apply for spring, summer, or fall application terms.
- Complete a minimum of 30 semester hours (or 45 quarter credits) at a U.S. regionally accredited college by the course requirement deadline of the application term.
- Complete the minimum course requirements by the course requirement deadline of the application term. Click here to review the course requirement by major chart.
- Submit an official transcript with final grades by the document deadline of the application term.
- Earn a cumulative GPA of 3.3 or higher and a combined math/lab science GPA of 3.3 or higher. The cumulative GPA includes coursework taken at all colleges and/or universities attended. The math/lab science GPA includes a combination of mathematics courses at the calculus level and higher along with all-natural science courses including both lecture and laboratory components.
- Note: Applicants to Music Technology must submit a portfolio for review by faculty as part of their application. Approval of the portfolio is also required for admission to this program. If your portfolio is not approved and you meet all other criteria of the Conditional Transfer Pathway, you will have the opportunity to enroll at Georgia Tech in your secondary major.
Pathway Program Frequently Asked Questions
I applied to Georgia Tech as a first-year student. Do I need to complete another application for this offer?
Yes. You must complete and submit the online transfer application and pay the non-refundable application fee by the deadline of the application term. Select an entering status of regular or international transfer student. Our office will match your application with the correct pathway offer after application submission.
Can the offer be extended?
No. The offer is specific to the time period on your decision letter. It is an optional transfer pathway and valid up to two years after your high school graduation date.
When must the course requirements by major be complete in order to meet pathway requirements?
Students must complete 30 semester credits or 45 quarter credits by the course requirement deadline of the application term. Review our transfer admission page for course requirement deadlines for each term.
How can students prepare to complete course requirement by major?
Determine if you will need a pre-requisite before you can take Calculus I or Lab Science coursework. Review our recommended resources page to learn more about our transfer equivalency table, course requirement chart, and degree programs.
Where can I go to see if a course is transferable from another institution?
Please use Georgia Tech’s transfer equivalency table online to view transfer credit by institution. The transfer equivalency table is managed by the Office of the Registrar and updated on a regular basis.
Can Georgia Tech provide academic advisement on courses at another institution?
No. Georgia Tech faculty and staff are not able to provide academic advisement on non-Georgia Tech coursework. Please review the recommend resources page and choose the best available coursework to meet pathway requirements. An official transfer credit evaluation is available once a student receives an offer of admission from Georgia Tech.
Can credit by exam (AP/IB/SAT subject exams) be used to satisfy course requirements?
Yes. Please review our credit by exam policy on the transfer admission website. Georgia Tech will honor credit by exam awards that are clearly articulated on the official transcript and are transferable to Georgia Tech.
Do credit by exam awards count as part of the minimum 30 credit hours?
No. Credit by exam awards are not included within the 30-credit hour requirement. The credit hour requirement must be completed after high school graduation.
Are dual enrollment grades included within GPA calculations?
Yes. Dual Enrollment grades are included within GPA calculations, and courses can count toward your course requirements by major. They do not count towards the 30 semester or 45 quarter credit minimum requirement.
Are academic calendars and credit systems the same at all colleges?
No. Academic calendars and credit systems vary by institution. Check to see if a college is on a quarter credit or semester credit system. When classes begin and end vary a great deal between quarter and semester credit systems. Be sure to confirm you can complete 30 semester or 45 quarter credit hours by the course requirement deadline to meet pathway program requirements.
Will I receive an offer of admission if I apply for transfer with this pathway program?
Students who apply for transfer and meet all the requirements of their transfer pathway program offer will receive an offer of admission for the specific term. Students not meeting all requirements may apply as part of our regular transfer application process available each term (fall, spring, and summer).
How many credit hours must I complete after high school graduation for this pathway program?
Students must complete a minimum of 30 semester or 45 quarter credit hours after high school graduation and by the course requirement deadline. Students with dual enrollment credit are still required to complete 30 semester or 45 quarter credit hours after high school graduation as part of this pathway program.