The purpose of the essays is to assess your writing ability and, more importantly, to learn more about you as an individual. This portion of the application helps us get to know you, assess mutual fit and better understand what you could contribute to Georgia Tech.
For 2021 applicants, we have assessed the most important aspects of the long and short essays and have decided that we will no longer utilize the long essay portion of the Common Application. If submitted, we will not consider this essay as part of your application review.
Instead, we have carefully crafted two short answer questions that we believe more directly assess your fit and potential contribution to Georgia Tech. To keep the required writing throughout your application to a reasonable amount, the Georgia Tech specific questions will each be limited to 50-300 words.
Georgia Tech Essay Questions for 2021 Applications
Both prompts below are required of all applicants.
- Why do you want to study your chosen major specifically at Georgia Tech?
- All applicants must choose one of the two questions below:
- Georgia Tech is committed to creating solutions to some of the world’s most pressing challenges. Tell us how you have improved or hope to improve the human condition in your community.
- If you feel that your personal or community background can provide additional insight to your application that we have not already seen elsewhere, please take this opportunity to share that information with us.
What We Are Looking For
Essays are evaluated for both content and writing/grammatical skills.So, before submitting your application, you should take the time to edit and review your essay thoroughly. The traits of a strong essay include ones that:
- Demonstrate authenticity & self-awareness
- Demonstrate thoughtfulness
- Display attention to topic, style, and grammar
- Demonstrate a student has thought about why Georgia Tech, specifically, is a fit for them and how their goals align with Georgia Tech’s mission statement: The Georgia Institute of Technology is a public research university established by the state of Georgia in Atlanta in 1885 and committed to developing leaders who advance technology and improve the human condition.
Our advice for completing this portion of the application
- Get started early. Don’t wait until the last minute to complete your essays!
- Write and edit your essay in a document editor. Once you have the final draft, you can cut and paste it into your online application.
- Don’t write what you think we want to read. Write what you want to say!
- Don’t blow off the essay! We wouldn’t ask you to write it if we didn’t find it to be an important way to get to know you, and what you have to bring to Georgia Tech.