Applicants for 2022 will complete the Common Application Personal Essay and one Georgia Tech Short Answer Essay Question.
The purpose of the essays is to assess your writing ability and, more importantly, to learn more about you as an individual. This portion of the application helps us get to know you, assess mutual fit and better understand what you could contribute to Georgia Tech.
Common Application Personal Essay
First-year applicants will choose from one of seven prompts.
Georgia Tech Short Answer Question
Why do you want to study your chosen major specifically at Georgia Tech? (max 300 words)
What We Are Looking For
Essays are evaluated for both content and writing/grammatical skills. So, before submitting your application, you should take the time to edit and review your essay thoroughly. A strong essay:
- Demonstrates authenticity & self-awareness.
- Demonstrates thoughtfulness.
- Displays attention to topic, style, and grammar.
- Demonstrates a student has thought about why Georgia Tech, specifically, is a fit for them and how their goals align with Georgia Tech’s mission statement: The Georgia Institute of Technology is a public research university established by the state of Georgia in Atlanta in 1885 and committed to developing leaders who advance technology and improve the human condition.
Our advice for completing this portion of the application
- Get started early. Don’t wait until the last minute to complete your essays!
- Write and edit your essay in a document editor. Once you have the final draft, you can cut and paste it into your online application.
- Don’t write what you think we want to read. Write what you want to say!
- Don’t blow off the essay! We wouldn’t ask you to write it if we didn’t find it to be an important way to get to know you, and what you have to bring to Georgia Tech.