The purpose of the essays is to assess your writing ability and, more importantly, to learn more about you as an individual. This portion of the application helps us get to know you, assess mutual fit, and better understand what you could contribute to Georgia Tech.
Application Essay Prompts
Below are the Georgia Tech essay questions for 2023 applications. Both prompts are required of all applicants.
- Common Application Personal Essay: First-year applicants will choose one of seven essay prompts provided by Common App.
- Georgia Tech Short-Answer Question (max 300 words): Why do you want to study your chosen major specifically at Georgia Tech?
Start Your Essays
What Are We Looking for in Your Essays?
Essays are evaluated for both content and writing/grammatical skills. So, before submitting your application, you should take the time to edit and review your essay thoroughly. The traits of a strong essay include ones that:
- Demonstrate authenticity & self-awareness.
- Demonstrate thoughtfulness.
- Display attention to topic, style, and grammar.
- Demonstrate a student has thought about why Georgia Tech, specifically, is a fit for them and how their goals align with Georgia Tech’s mission statement: The Georgia Institute of Technology is a public research university established by the state of Georgia in Atlanta in 1885 and committed to developing leaders who advance technology and improve the human condition.
Our Advice for this Portion of the Application
- Get started early. Don’t wait until the last minute to complete your essays!
- Write and edit your essay in a document editor. Once you have the final draft, you can cut and paste it into your online application.
- Don’t write what you think we want to read. Write what you want to say!
- Don’t blow off the essay! We wouldn’t ask you to write it if we didn’t find it to be an important way to get to know you, and what you could bring to Georgia Tech.